Low Carb Greek Chicken, Lemon & Egg Soup
Recipe shared from: I Breathe I’m Hungry
LOW CARB AVGOLEMENO (GREEK CHICKEN, LEMON & EGG SOUP)
The rain just doesn’t seem to want to stop here in San Antonio! While you wait for sunny weather to come our way, you can warm up with this traditional Greek low carb soup recipe from I Breathe I’m Hungry. Make a big pot for dinner and have time enough to reheat and enjoy again the next day.
- 4 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 10 cups chicken stock or broth
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups cooked spaghetti squash
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Add the chicken and broth to a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. In a medium bowl whisk the eggs and lemon juice together until frothy. Slowly whisk 2 cups of hot stock into the egg mixture – don’t just dump it in or you’ll end up with scrambled eggs! Once the stock has been incorporated into the egg mixture, add back to the pot. Stir in the spaghetti squash and gently reheat the soup if necessary – don’t bring to a boil or the eggs may curdle. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot, garnished with chopped parsley and grated parmesan cheese (optional).
Approx nutrition info per serving: 289 calories, 15g fat, 4g net carbs, 33g protein