Super Bowl Super Snacks
Super Bowl 50 is this Sunday! Keep your snack game strong as you root for your favorite team with a few food options that won’t break your weight loss regimen. These recipes are filling and delicious – they will satisfy even your pickiest company.
Curried Spiced Mixed Nuts
Start to finish: 25 minutes
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons grade B maple syrup
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup raw walnuts
1/2 cup raw almonds
1/3 cup raw cashews
1/3 cup raw pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, maple syrup, curry powder, salt cayenne. add the nuts and toss with a spatula until evenly coated. Spread the nuts evenly on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes and stir them about halfway though. Nuts are done when they are aromatic and slightly golden. Let them cool to room temperature, then use a metal spatula to loosen them from the parchment. transfer to a serving dish or an airtight container. Store in the freezer for up to a month.
Oven-Baked Cheese Crisps
Start to finish: 6 minutes
Servings: 3-5 servings
1 cup grated hard cheese (such as parmesan)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Toss the cheese with any seasonings you’d like – garlic powder (about half a teaspoon for a cup of cheese), hot pepper powder or even cinnamon.
- Pile 1 to 4 tablespoons of cheese (depending on the desired size) on a baking sheet covered with a silicone mat or parchment paper oiled on both sides. Flatten the tops so they are in more or less an even pile. There should be at least two inches between smaller mounds, 4 inches between larger ones.
- Bake 5 to 6 minutes until they are a light golden brown (they will be a little darker at the edges). Watch carefully.
White Bean Dip
Start to finish: 15 minutes
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/4 cup loosely packed chopped fresh sage leaves
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place cannellini beans in bowl, and mash with fork; set aside.
- Heat a small pan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, and let it warm. Add garlic and chopped fresh sage leaves. Stir constantly for 4 minutes or until garlic is brown and sage is crispy.
- Pour hot oil over beans; stir. Garnish with 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, and add salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and store in fridge up to 1 week.
Need more meal planning help?
At BeWell 365, we are helping people achieve their health and fitness goals every day. If you could use more guidance planning your meals, contact us today to schedule an appointment.
Ready to stop fad dieting and start living healthy?