POWER Foods – Cucumber
Skinny and green, luscious and lean – this week’s POWER Food goes to none other than the mouth-wateringly fresh garden cucumber. This author is all too familiar with this vegetable, as it often is a mainstay in the kitchen and a quick solution for a “something’s missing” in that salad. While you may not be able to acquire cucumber from a garden nearby (the preferred method!) be sure to pick one up on your next trip to the supermarket. Here are some reasons why cucumbers are as nutritious they are delicious!
- Being 95% water means cucumbers will help keep you hydrated.
- Antioxidant vitamins help flush out toxins effectively (A, B, C)>
- Promising studies reveal possible cancer-fighting compounds.
- Aid in digestion due to fiber and H2O content.
- Contains high levels of silica – great for beautifying hair, nails, and skin.
- Support insulin production – good news for a healthy pancreas.
- Can reduce cholesterol via the presence of plant sterols.
Add some cucumber to your diet! Growing them is even better as you can be certain that yours are organic and pesticide free, plus – it’s very easy! You can grow your own cucumbers in a pot at home that gets plenty of sunlight. When properly cared for they can grow faster than you can eat them! Good luck, happy eating, and for more San Antonio weight loss tips, make sure to check our blog again soon!